Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day Thirty Three

July 19th

Today was one of the most frustrating day of class, since I have been in Avignon. Last Thursday we watched a film, Battle of Algiers. This morning our professor asked us what we thought about the movie, and our feelings on it. Every person said how they sympathized with the Algerians, but did not agree with the methods they used against the French military. I am the last person to talk, and I say that I do not sympathize with either group in the present. Obviously struggles that are similar and are currently happening, I do side with the group who is being oppressed. I mentioned how the movie just demonstrated what happens in history, whenever change occurs.

If a country or a ruling power is not happy with an uprising for change, violence is always the answer. Any type of situation which has lead to a change, socially or politically, is violent more often than not. So, as I disagree with the class as a whole the subject of terrorism pops up. My professor asked if terrorist groups had a clear ideology or if it was just "let's bomb people!". Once again, I was the only person to say that "terrorists" do have clear ideologies and there is more to just bombing people. After that I was told I was wrong, and from that point I did not talk again in class. My professor is an asshole, end of story.

Since I was so riled from my class, I wrote to Rachael to tell her what happened in my class. Sitting in history made me realize how awesome of an education I am getting at Emory, from both Rachael and Dr.Saliba. It also makes me realize how Americans are so stuck in what the media defines terrorism as or anything along those lines. I am glad I am receiving an education where alternative thinking is praised, and not seen as being wrong.

Pretty much after that, my life consisted of just relaxing/preparing for my presentation for history. I also had a very much needed chat with Rachael, which made my day when the topic of pie came up and flying to France to deal with my asshole of a professor. Eventually I wound up in the park next to Palais de Papes, and finished up some homework. It was also amazing to relax in the shade and actually feel cool in the crazy heat.


(View from the Park)

At 7(19:00) I meet up with Brittany, so we could grab some food. Yesterday, her lady told her we needed to eat out on Sunday because we had eaten at home all week, but we told them it would be easier to eat today because we would already be in the city. We ate at the pasta place I went to two weeks ago. Still quite delicious, and I want to recreate the sauce I have eaten twice now. Finally, it was a semi-long walk home to rest and get ready for a double day of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment