Monday, July 5, 2010

Day Sixteen

July 2nd

Field trip to Pont de Gard!! It is one of the remaining sections of the aqueduct of Nimes that is still in really good condition. It sucked having to get up really early, but it was well worth
it. It was not even an hour outside of Avignon, but I still found it to be pretty neat. It was a fairly short trip compared to the other field trips, yet still enjoyable.


(Everyone walking towards Pont de Gard)

Our first stop of Pont de Gard itself, where standing on the banks of the river two girls gave presentations: Pont de Gard, and Aquecduct de Nimes. It is amazing that the Romans were able to construct such grand pieces using limestone and other materials. We walked beneath Pont de Gard and we walked to the top of it. After the lectures, we visited the museum at the site. It was a very modern museum, and had sections that were lighted by black light. So odd. After the museum it was time to go swimming in the river. The cold water was so refreshing after walking in the bright sun all morning. The only down side was all of the rocks that made up the bed of the river. My feet were killing me, but I guess it was worth it.


(Pont de Gard in it's entirety (what I could get on my camera))

Soon, it was back on the bus to Avignon. Once we got to town, the whole group went to a Tartine place. I had never had a Tartine before, and let me say the one I got was super yummy. I got a chicken Tartine, which was like chicken salad minus the mayo, with cucumbers, tomatoes, corn, and red peppers. All of this is on a toasted slice of bread, which is what makes it a Tartine. Tartines can come with either cold things on top or hot depending on which one a person orders. After lunch everyone parted ways because we were all drained from the sun.


(A Portion of the 2nd tier, and 3rd tier)

Brittany and I went home, had a tiny conversation with our hosts families. We decided to tan/swim for a tiny bit of the afternoon. It was nice just to lay in the sun and not worry about anything. Around 6(18:00), I went back to my house to chill out/nap until dinner. Dinner was a normal affair, accompanied by Plus Belle La Vie at 8h10m (20h10m). After dinner I got ready to head to Les Celestines with Brittany and the others.

It was a very chill night at Les Celestines, where I got a tiny teapot of tea for only 2 euros. Normally I would order a beer that would cost 2E30 and not get even half as much as the tea. It was very relaxing, and we had all different kinds of conversations. Our server, Benoire, kept teasing us and making jokes. Finally ended up back home to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment