Monday, July 5, 2010

Day Seventeen

July 3rd

The day to celebrate Independence day, while in France. I was excited about sleeping in because the only outing planed would not commence until 2:30(14:30). Around 10:30, Brittany and I headed to the supermarket around the corner to buy things for the Independence day celebration. After going to the market, I went home and wrote out some of the post cards
I bought earlier in the week.

At one point, Grandma asked if I was going to eat lunch and I said no. A few m
inutes later Brittany comes over and says that Grandpa said I did not understand when they asked me eating. In all honesty I was not even thinking about food or what time it was. I told them I was not even thinking because I was so wrapped up in my writing. They understood, but it bothers me they took my not thinking as not understanding. Sorry, I am a bit of a space cadet when I focus on something.

When 1:45 (13:45) hit, Brittany and I hopped on the bus to head to our meeting spot. When we arrived at the bus station, no-one from the center could be seen. Eventually, Kong meet us outside and we walked in together. I thought someone from the Institute would be coming with us, but I was wrong. We hop on the bus with our treats and eventually make it to Carpentras. As soon as we get there, a guy named Steve greets us and tells us we are going on a tour of the city, and we can swim in the pool later. What!? Two days before we found out we had to bring something, and no one told us about swimming or the city tour.


(An Old Church in Town)

The tour of the city was not too bad, but I was still irritated that no one thought to mention this to us. There were a couple of different art shows going on in Carpentras, one of which was just hanging throughout the city. One art show was paintings done by an American housed in the back of a book/comic book store. I found the comic books a bit more interesting than the art exhibit. From there we ended up at another exhibit, this one of photographs done throughout the region. Some photos were done after certain photos taken in the 1900's. I really loved that exhibit, and even got a free book of some of the photos. Finally it was time to hop in cars and head outside the center of town (aka outside the walls).


(Cool Carousel)

End up at Steve's house, there is a mixture of American and French flags and a bunch of really random people. There was only one other American, who was staying in a town nearby working in a Bed and Breakfast. She was only in high school, and not very interesting at all. It was an interesting experience, and one I would rather not repeat. I did sit next to a very awesome French man, who completely understood me and knew about Norfolk. We ended the night singing songs and things along those lines. The various peoples ended up driving us
home, which was an experience in it of itself.


(Part of the Painting Exhibit)

I would say it was an odd way to celebrate the 4th a day early.

No comments:

Post a Comment