Monday, June 21, 2010

Day Three and Four

June 19th/ June 20th

So, after I posted my last entry Brittany and I ended up meeting some of the other students for drinks. We arrived around ten thirty (22:30), and left around one thirty in the morning. While, hanging out with the others we decided to venture into Marseille the next day.It was really fun just hanging out, and having a good time.



Day three was Marseille day, and I got up at eight to meet everyone in front of the school at nine. Our host families drove us to the school because they were already headed into the center, and Brittany's host mom did not want her to walk with wet hair. It was very windy, and unfortunately has not stopped yet. Met up with Amanda, Maggie, Emily and Kong, and proceeded to walk to the train station. We ended up taking a bus into Marseille, which was an hour and a half.

Once arriving in Marseille, the adventure truly began. We took the metro to a stop that would bring us close to the beach. After getting off the metro, it was a fifteen minute walk to the beach. Right in front of the beach was a copy of the statue of David, which I kinda found a little bit bizarre. We then found a cafe and had savory crepes, which were amazing as well as cheap. Once our stomachs were filled, it was time to hit the beach.

The sand was actually tiny smooth pebbles, and the water was pretty cold. Maggie was hilarious because she kept saying how she never tasted water so salty. After swimming for a bit, it was time to just lay out and soak up the sun. We left the beach around four (16:00), found a yummy bakery where Brittany and I shared a lemon meringue torte (sooooooooo good). Wound up at the train station, where we took a local train back to Avignon. A two hour train ride home produced even more laughs. Finally, we arrived and went home to eat and get ready for another night out.
(Amanda, Brittany, Emily, Maggie, Moi)

Saturday night, we ended up at a random bar in Place Pie. We ended up ordering a Girafe, which was a large pitcher of beer with a tap attached. After hanging out at that bar, we ended up at another place that was hosting the after party of the Gay Cirkus. It was a lot of fun dancing the night away and having a good time. Eventually we left around two, and walked to "our corner" and called for our taxi. Since Brittany and I live in the exterior of the city, we have to get a taxi after eight (20:00) because the buses stop running. Unfortunately, the taxis were not very speedy that night and we waited for over twenty-five minutes for the taxi to arrive. Eventually we made it home at three, and went to sleep.


(The Girls with the Girafe)

Sunday, I did not do anything productive. I woke up at really late and ate lunch with my host family, and then napped away my afternoon. I also had a quick video chat with Jameson before he went to work. So, I napped away my afternoon and woke up at five (17:00) called my mom and preceded to get ready for dinner with the others. I went out to dinner with Julia, Chase, Kong, Maggie, Amanda, Emily, and of course Brittany. It was a very relaxing affair. Once it was time to leave, we headed to our corner (which is where Emily lives) and called for a taxi.

I made the call this time, and after hearing where we wanted to be picked up he asked if we were going to Malpeigne, which is our street. Unfortunately or fortunately this is not the first time the taxi company has recognized us. I believe on Saturday night the driver asked us if a certain road was how to get to Malpeigne, but we did not know. He radioed in asking how to get there, and after having confirmation the guy on the other end asked if he had the pretty Americans. It is a bit weird that the taxi guys know us, but it is bound to happen especially if we get picked up at the same place and dropped off at the same place. Oh well.



2 comments:

  1. Kaylee! I'm enjoying reading your blog every day! Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're having fun. I wish I had a crazy beer pitcher like that (except mine would not be full of Belgian beer)

    ReplyDelete