Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day Five and Six

June 21st/22nd

So, Monday was my first day of classes which meant I had to get up at 7 to leave the house by 8:15. I somehow magically turned off my alarm and woke up at 7:30, making me rush to get ready. I showered, packed my bag, and dressed managing to actually be on time. I believe, I caught the 8:30 bus to get to school by 9, either way I was on time for my class.

History was the first class of the day, and it covers French history from 1945 up until 2000. I love history and it is interesting because it is the French prospective. Growing up in the states, I have learned the US side of things, and have touched on the French prospective in college. I do have to say it is hard to sit in a class for two hours, when it is mostly lecture since I tend to get a little bored.

The professor is very French (when I told Jameson this, he said of course the guy is french you're in France; Thanks Babe!). I see this professor as the quintessential french male, kinda tan, black hair which is styled everyday, nicely dressed/put together, and a super tiny triangle of facial hair on the chin. The tiny triangle is maybe the half the size of a person's pinkie nail, and I do get distracted by it because I wonder how he keeps it so tiny and perfect. Oh, well.

I then had a two hour break until my next class, where I went and bought some food. I had a very tasty kabob, and it was also very filling. Finally it was time for my second class, which was Literature. I was completely lost, and decided I was going to take another class because I did not want to be stressed out while I was here. Also, I took a lit class back at Emory, and it is not my favorite class to take in France. The novels the class were going to read, all dealt with colonization and I would rather actually deal with the culture of Southern France.

After my classes were over I went to the grocery store to buy some food to eat for lunches and snacks. I was a little mesmerized by the grocery store, and wandered for a bit before I purchased various items. Next week, I will once again go to the grocery to buy various items for lunch. Soon it was time to head home, which took longer than normal because the Fete de la Musique started at two (14:00).

I was not planning on going out on Monday night, but it was the Fete de la Musique and it was not to be passed up. Brittany and I walked into to town in order to save on money, and it was still light out. The walk took about twenty minutes to meet up with our friends, and there were so many different types of music. Every single nook
and crany had some sort of DJ or band playing music. This was the first time I had seen the city be crowded, which made it difficult to find our friends but we found them!!


(My fancy Ferris Wheel Photo, which I want to frame)

We esstentially walked from one end of the city to another, where there was a huge stage next to the ferris wheel. We watched three different rock bands, before heading home on foot. The first band we heard reminded me a lot of the indie rock bands that I listen too, and they had high energy. The second band was also pretty good, and played Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd. I was really excited since I could sing along with the lyrics. The third band was a very popular band through out France. By the time that band got on stage, the crowd was quite large. All in all, the Fete de la Musique was a lot of fun.


(The First Band)

Tuesday was the second day of classes, where I dropped my literature class for the art and architecture class. The art/arch class is more cultural because I get to explore more areas, and understand why France is the way it is. It also gets to go on a lot of field trips, to different areas in the region. Super excited!! History was also pretty chill, and I still got distracted by my professor's tiny triangle.

While waiting for classes to start, I listened to Wimbly on the interweb and took a baby nap. I was super exhausted, and just wanted to sleep the day away since I felt like I had not slept in three days. Overall, it has been pretty exciting recently.

Tiny interesting thing of note in Avignon, outside of the walls. There are these parking lots along the outside of the interior of Avignon (the center of town, compared to the exterior which is where I live), and there always a bunch of cars parked. Inter dispersed with the cars are a bunch of white vans, that have lights/or candles on the dashboard. Brittany and I see these vans all the time, and figured out they are the prostitutes of Avignon. When the light is on they are open for business, and when it is off they have a customer. The women sit in the front, leg on the dash, showing off their wears. I will try to obtain a picture of these vans one night.




No comments:

Post a Comment